Friday, August 20, 2010

La Jolla, CA? No, Glyfada, Greece :)

Well, on day six of our adventures in Greece, our group was moved to Glyfada, a suburb of Athens.  For those who know San Diego, Athens would be San Diego and Glyfada would be La Jolla.  Basically, it is a small quiet community with high-end stores and, of course, the beach!  Although the tour company recommended for all of us to always stay in a group, they told us, on the side of course, that this community was completely safe.  And I agreed!
We stayed in Palmyra Hotel, and it seemed like we were the only guests, but a few hours later we realized that there was also another college group in our hotel.  It was nice to see other students of our same age, except they seemed to stay in the hotel all day writing papers and presentations that were due for the course they were taking in Greece.

During our stay in Glyfada, we visited Sounion.

Temple of Poseidon at Sounion.

View from the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion.
            It was nice to get out of the pollution and traffic congestion, and to simply walk around at night.  Often times, my friend and roommate for almost the entire trip, we would have lunch or dinner together in order to soak up the Greek people and culture.  It was nice to be able to speak with the Greek people in restaurants and cafes.  We were even able to take pictures with the local police and we tried, for the only time on the entire trip, which I am extremely proud of, FAST FOOD!  Catherine and I went to Goody’s, which is the McDonalds of Greece, and the burgers were average.  When we first entered Goody’s we noticed that they called their burgers, Western Burgers and when I saw that I thought of Western Barbeque Burgers, but I think when they refer to Western, they just mean like the United States.  Also, the meat tasted like soy.
            All in all I had some great memories of Glyfada.  I went shopping in Zara and H&M, which I loved!  Hey, I know they have those in the United States, but it was fantastic to be amongst other foreign people and gauge their reactions to shopping! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment